Amazon is the world’s largest online retailer and also one of the world’s most valuable companies. And yet, they have a lot of intriguing and interesting statistics that you might not have been aware of. We have been collecting these for years and thought it would be nice to share them with our readers.
1. Amazon’s net sales in 2020 were the US $386 billion. (Source: Statista)
2. Amazon’s net income till 30 June 2021 was the US $29.44 billion. (Source: ycharts)
3. North America is the most extensive customer base of Amazon. Around 61% of its customer are from that region.
4. As of 2021, Amazon holds 50% of the US eCommerce market share. (Source: Statista)
5. Among all the mobile shopping apps, Amazon is way ahead of everyone else, with 150.6 million monthly users. (Source: Statista)
6. Amazon.ca received 173.53M desktop and mobile traffic in the last six months as of August 2021. (Source: similarweb). Amazon.com received 2.65B desktop and mobile traffic in the last six months as of August 2021. (Source: similarweb)
7. Almost 66% of US consumers search for new products on Amazon. (Source: feedvisor)
8. Amazon has a total of 6.3 million sellers. Although only 1.5 million of them have active products in their account. (Source: marketplacepulse)
9. Amazon’s 56% of total sales were generated by third-party sellers. (Source: Statista)
10. 86% of third-party sellers were in profit as of February 2020 survey. (Source: junglescout)
11. As of July 2021, Amazon employs 1.3 million people around the world. Nine hundred fifty thousand of them are from the USA. (Source: businessinsider)
12. By the end of the year 2019, Amazon turned into one trillion-dollar company. (Source: CNBC)
13. During holidays, Amazon warehouses ship more than 1 million items a day. (Source: curbed)
14. Amazon has more than 200 million Prime members. More than 250 million products were sold during the Prime Day event in 2021. (Source: spendmenot)
15. Amazon is operating its business in 14 countries.
16. Amazon ships its products to over 100 countries. (Source: amazon)
17. 82% of US households have an Amazon Prime membership. (Source: digitalcommerce360)
18. Amazon has more than 200,000 mobile robots working inside its warehouse network, alongside hundreds of thousands of human workers. (Source: vox)
19. Amazon recently introduced Prime Air, through which customers will receive their product within 30 minutes or less through drones. (Source: Amazon)
20. Amazon is planning to open 3000 cashier-less stores. (Source: CNBC)
21. Amazon founder Jeff Bezos makes around $230,000 in a minute. (Source: tweaktown)
22. Amazon sells over 4000 products every minute. (Source: amazon)
23. An average prime member spends around $1400 a year on amazon shopping. (Source: statista)
24. By the end of 2021, Amazon is expected to make 26 billion dollars in advertising revenue. (Source: Statista)
25. Amazon has 20 private label brands. (Source: practicalecommerce)
Amazon’s net sales in 2020 were $386 billion
Amazon sales are increasing every year. In the year 2004, net sales amount was only 6.92 billion. However, it has grown every year, and it reached $386 billion by the end of 2020. So far in 2021, its net sales have reached $221 billion, and with the biggest holidays ahead, it is expected to cross the previous year’s record.
Amazon’s net income till 30 June 2021 was US $29.44 billion
As the sales have increased, naturally, net income has also increased for Amazon over the years. It is expected to grow more by the end of this year.
Amazon holds 50% of the USA eCommerce market share
As e-commerce sales are growing faster, amazon is way ahead of its competitors. Walmart, Target is also growing fast, but they are nowhere near amazon. 83.2% of total eCommerce sales of books/music/video and 50.2% of consumer electronics sales are received by Amazon.
Amazon Shopping App has the maximum number of users
North America has the most extensive customer base of Amazon
Most of the Amazon sales come from the North American region. Approximately 63% of their customers are from North America. The rest of 27% of customers are from other regions combined.
Amazon Shopping App has the maximum number of users
Among all the other shopping app available, the amazon app has the most number of users. It has almost 150.6 million monthly users. Their closest competitor Walmart has 86.05 million monthly users.
Amazon receives massive search traffic
According to similarweb, Amazon Canada received 173.53M desktop and mobile traffic, and Amazon USA received 2.65B desktop and mobile traffic so far in 2021. Amazon ranks number 8 worldwide in terms of traffic and number 2 in the USA.
66% of US consumers search for new products on Amazon
Research shows that two-thirds (66%) of US consumers first search on Amazon when they are looking for new products to buy, and even more of them turn to Amazon when they are ready to buy.
Amazon has a total of 6.3 million sellers
There are 6.3 million Amazon sellers worldwide. The majority of sellers have no longer listed any products for sale. There are 1.5 million active sellers. This year, 475,000 sellers have joined Amazon’s marketplace.
Third-party sellers generated Amazon’s 56% of total sales
Amazon’s marketplace also permits third-party (3P) sales. It is possible to sell on Amazon Marketplace both as an individual and a professional. Third-party sellers accounted for 56 percent of units sold in the second quarter of 2021.
86% third party sellers were in profit as of February 2020 survey
JungleScout ran a survey among 1,046 third-party sellers on Amazon in the year 2020. Their survey revealed some interesting facts about third-party sellers.
- 67% are profitable within their first year of selling.
- 61% say their Amazon profits increased during 2019.
- Some new Amazon sellers are earning upwards of $800,000 per year in profits.
Amazon employs 1.3 million people around the world
To this day, the eCommerce giant employs 1.3 million people worldwide and 950,000 of those in the US. So 1 out of every 350 Americans works for Amazon, which is 1 out of every 153 employed workers in the USA.
Amazon turned into a one trillion-dollar company in 2019
Amazon joins Apple, Alphabet, and Microsoft in reaching the critical milestone. The company reached a $1 trillion market cap for the first time in September 2018.
Amazon warehouses ship more than 1 million items a day during holidays
Some Amazon warehouses ship more than 1 million items a day during holiday rushes. A pace that has been identified as a workplace hazard, with injury rates at twice the national average for some warehouse facilities.
Amazon has more than 200 million Prime members
Jeff Bezos, Amazon’s CEO, said in a letter to investors in April 2021 that the number of Prime subscribers had reached 200 million. That’s over 50 million more than the 143 million members counted at the end of 2020.
Amazon operating its business in 21 countries
Though Amazon USA does most of the business, they have expanded their business to 20 more countries. The list of countries is given below-
- United States
- Saudi Arabia
- United Kingdom
Amazon ships its products to over 100 countries
Though they have an active business in only 21 countries, they can ship products to over 100 countries worldwide. Recipients might have to pay taxes according to their country’s custom duties tariff.
82% of US households have an Amazon Prime membership
According to the US Census Bureau, there are approximately 127.59 million households in the US. In addition, there are 105 million Amazon Prime members in the US, so 82% have Amazon Prime accounts. However, this does not account for households with multiple Prime accounts.
Amazon has more than 200,000 mobile working robots
The e-commerce giant has more than 200,000 mobile robots working inside its warehouse network. Along with hundreds of thousands of human workers, this robotic army has improved the speed of delivery to Amazon Prime customers.
Amazon recently introduced Prime Air
Amazon recently introduced Prime Air, a system for delivering packages safely in as little as 30 minutes using autonomous aerial vehicles, also known as drones. The Prime Air service has great potential to enhance the services that Amazon already provides to millions of customers by offering parcel delivery services that improve mobility and safety.
Amazon is planning to open 3000 cashier-less stores
Amazon is considering opening 3,000 of its cashier-less stores by 2021. These stores will be located across the United States and Canada. They would allow shoppers to pick up orders without having to interact with any employees or checkout lines. This could help reduce wait times and increase customer satisfaction.
Amazon founder Jeff Bezos makes around $230,000 in a minute
In May 2017, it was reported that Jeff Bezos made about $23,000 per second while reading from his phone on stage at Code Conference. Bezos now makes around $331,000 per minute, which is approximately $10 billion per month.
Amazon sells over 6,500 products every minute
In Amazon’s SMB impact report of 2020, it was mentioned, amazon is selling over 6500 products every minute. It was 4000 in the year 2019. That’s a 60% increase.
An average prime member spends around $1400 a year
During the most recently measured survey period ending March 2019, it was found that Prime members spend an average of 1,400 US dollars on the online shopping platform every year. At the same time, non-Prime members spend around $600.
Amazon is expected to make 26 billion dollars in 2021 Advertising Revenue
The company is expected to generate more than 26 billion dollars in advertising revenue by 2021 and over 85 billion by 2026.
Amazon has 406 private label brands
Market Pulse research indicates that Amazon-owned private label brands are not nearly as successful as many think. The company has succeeded in creating generic products at low prices using only Amazon’s brand name. Here are 10 of them that can be considered successful-
- AmazonBasics – household goods, electronics
- Amazon Collection – jewelry
- Amazon Essentials – men’s and women’s clothing
- Pinzon – bedding and towels
- Solimo – household goods
- Amazon Elements – vitamins and supplements
- Simple Joys by Carter’s – children’s clothing
- Goodthreads – men’s clothing
- Daily Ritual – women’s clothing
- Lark & Ro – women’s clothing
As you can see, Amazon is one of the biggest companies out there today. Their colossal success also attracts lots of attention from other businesses who want to get into the same market. All these things combined give Amazon much power when competing against other retailers.
I hope these facts were interesting and informative enough to get your attention. I hope you have enjoyed it. See you soon.