Vicks and Mentholatum are two different products, but they share many similarities. Unfortunately, many of us confuse ourselves thinking Vicks and Mentholatum are the same things, while others want to confirm which one works best for cold symptoms.
These two products differ in their active ingredient profiles and their uses. Natural camphor and menthol are the main ingredients in Mentholatum Original Ointment, which provides topical pain relief.
Whereas Vicks VapoRub is used as a cough suppressant. It contains more ingredients than Mentholatum. These products are mainly used for similar kinds of treatments, but there are some differences between them. We are going to focus on those differences today.
- : Active Ingredients - Camphor (synthetic) 4.8%, Eucalyptus Oil 1.2 %, Menthol 2.6%
- : Provides immediate pain relief. Temporarily relieve minor aches and pains in joints and muscles.
- : Fast relief of mild cough symptoms with medicated vapors.
- : Feels more comfortable breathing with cough relief.
- : Use only externally. Be careful not to get any contact with your eyes.
- : Active Ingredients - Camphor 5.3%, Eucalyptus Oil 1.3%, Menthol 2.8%
- : Helps relieve chest pains caused by colds.
- : You can apply it on the neck, chest, and back.
- : Injury and surgery-related inflammation can be reduced.
- : It eases congestion and sore throats with scented menthol vapors.
How Do They Work?
Both Mentholatum ointment and Vicks loosen mucus and help clear the airways to relieve chest congestion. In addition, there is a cooling, soothing effect of menthol in Mentholatum ointment.
The Vicks contains camphor, another natural substance with cooling and soothing properties.
Which One Is Stronger?
Mentholatum and Vicks Vaporub are both effective topical analgesics for soothing chest congestion. Phlegm and mucus are loosened by topical balms, nasal passages are cleared, and clearing chest congestion by causing a warm and numb sensation on the skin.
In Vicks Vaporub and Mentholatum, the pungent aroma of menthol, eucalyptus oil, and camphor relieves cough and cold symptoms, including sore throat and runny nose.
The use of Vicks can also reduce congestion, suppress coughing, and relieve expectoration. Sizes and strengths of mentholatum vary; the higher the dose, the stronger the menthol scent and the more relieved you will feel.
Both topical creams are equally effective in reducing viral disease risks, and their effectiveness and strength vary depending on their purpose.